Position Title: Researcher
Activation Date: 11 Feb, 2018 Announced Date: 11 Feb, 2018 Expire Date: 24 Feb, 2018
About Afghanistan Institute for Civil Society (AICS):
Civil society has long been a key factor in addressing a full range of issues in the social, cultural, religious, humanitarian and political life of Afghanistan. With the focus upon transition to Afghan leadership, civil society, particularly local and national non-governmental organizations (NGOs), have the potential to play an important and complementary role in Afghanistan in the delivery of the government’s priority programs, in supporting improved governance, in connecting the wider Afghan population to the state, and in advocating for the vulnerable and excluded.
NGOs in Afghanistan face challenges, including financial and capacity gaps and a public trust deficit, in their endeavors to play such a role effectively. The government, the international community, and civil society have been considering methods by which to support NGOs to address these challenges and realize their potential, dating back to discussions at the Conference on Enabling Environment for Effective Private Sector Contribution to Development in Afghanistan in June 2007. One of the outcomes of these considerations was the formation of a working group, with representation from international and national NGOs, key national NGO networks, and civil society professionals, to establish an organization that will enable NGOs to address these challenges.
The Afghanistan Institute for Civil Society (AICS) objectives are:
- To raise the credibility of the civil society sector by certifying local NGOs using locally defined and internationally recognized standards.
- To systemize capacity building efforts by coordinating initiatives using measurable performance indicators.
- To strengthen the role of civil society in Afghanistan’s development through policy dialogue and active engagement with the government, donors and the broader development sector.
- To provide a channel for resources for civil society by strengthening philanthropic and corporate social responsibility efforts.
The researcher will be responsible for conducting case studies of selected CSOs and conducting focus group discussions with selected CSO members. As a researcher she/ he should carry out an important task of collecting and delivering first- hand information from the respondent groups of the focus group discussions, as well as producing evidence-based and quality case studies of the selected CSOs.
- Coordinate with the supervisor on how to carry out the FGDs and to report daily work done;
- Ensure adherence to the Code of Conduct for Researchers provided by AICS office
- Contact local authorities to inform them about the research and to gain their support if needed
- Gather information on CSOs in the provinces under study.
- Coordinate with the lead enumerators in each province for the field visits and conduct Focus Group Discussions.
- Transcribe the data from the focus group discussions and submit to AICS office in English.
- Collect data and develop case studies of selected CSOs within SEECA research frame (English).
- Report the work progress to AICS main office on the daily basis
- Support and supervise (where needed) the lead enumerators in the field
- Any additional duty related to the project work assigned
The researcher will report to the research and program specialist and in his/her absence will report to the research director.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master/ Bachelor degree or equivalent in research, Sociology, Psychology, Law, Economics, Political Science, education etc.
- Two years’ experience in qualitative and quantitative methodologies and research techniques
- Experience of collecting, transcribing, translating, analyzing and reporting data.
- Strong communication skills with good command on Dari, Pashto and English
- Experience of working with with civil society organizations and having network with CSOs will be considered as an advantage
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues
- Ability to work in a challenging environment
- Ability to use personal initiative and creativity to solve research problems
- Ability to manage field work, properly
- Travel required to the below mention provinces
Duty station: Mobile (Badakhshan, Bamyan, Kabul, Balkh, Paktia, Kandahar, Herat, Nangarhar, Samangan)
Duration: 20 Days (Extendable)
Applicant should send his/her CV/Resume, a maximum of three pages, and a covering letter to (firstname.lastname@example.org), explaining how your skills and experiences match with the requirements of the position.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 24 Feb 2018.