Position Title: Road and Bridge Design Engineer
Activation Date: 08 Aug, 2019 Announced Date: 08 Aug, 2019 Expire Date: 20 Aug, 2019
About Mercy Corps:
Mercy Corps has been continuously operational in Afghanistan since 1986, implementing more than 50 programs and is currently working in seven provinces of Afghanistan. Mercy Corps has emerged as a leader in the fields of agriculture, natural resources management, vocational training, renewable energy and economic development. Programs focus on the improvement of the lives and livelihoods of Afghan farmers, businesspersons and women, with an increasing focus on youth.
The KfW funded Economic Infrastructure Development for Afghanistan (EIDA) is part of the NRM Sector of the Mercy Corps Afghanistan Country Program.
The Project concerns the rehabilitation of rural access roads, smaller bridges, the rehabilitation and construction of market, storage and wheat fortification facilities as well as seed banks in the Northern provinces of Afghanistan in order to improve market access opportunities, household income and employment opportunities.
The purpose of the Project is geared towards (i) better access to market infrastructure, storage and processing facilities; (ii) improved transport infrastructure and reduced transport costs; (iii) an increase in household income; (iv) increase in market volume of wheat and other agricultural products (metric tons); (v) safeguarding and increasing temporary and seasonal recurrent employment opportunities.
The Project thus contributes to a sustainable economic development by improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the wheat value chain and other agricultural products and thus raising incomes and creating jobs in rural areas of Northern Afghanistan. The Project is assumed to be complementary to the Activities of EIDA I and II as well as to the Technical Cooperation (TC) project Sustainable Economic Development and Employment Promotion (SEDEP).
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Road and bridge design Engineer will be the Mercy Corps-EIDA project’s technical person, and work under the supervision of Senior Irrigation Design Engineer and/or program manager. This position is responsible for providing engineering assistance with plans, designs, costs estimation for designs and cost estimates for construction, Coordinates with various design disciplines and policies for the irrigation, road and bridge projects of the Mercy Corps EIDA III program. He/she will report to the Senior Irrigation design Engineer, work under the overall supervision of the program manager in close collaboration with the survey engineer & hydrologist, survey engineer and community mobilization officers. He/she will be the responsible person for Conducting road, bridge, retaining wall, and other structural designs and performs reviews of plans. Assists Senior Engineer and Program Manager with project management duties,
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Providing design and drafting services for roads and bridge design for the conceptual and detail design phases of a project;
- Preparing design drawings using AutoCAD, Civil 3D or similar type software.
- Interpreting survey results into technical drawings.
- Promoting and improving professional standards for road engineering design
- Review and approve the detailed engineering design, including all drawings, specifications and supporting calculations and documentation for the Project.
- Experience in design and construction of bridges and other road project structures.
- Experience on various structural designs and documentations including design of all required earthworks, retaining walls, drainage and any other required structures.
- Responsible for completion of discipline engineering project elements such as reports, designs, specifications and plans.
- Responsible for coordination and productivity of subordinates. Provides technical guidance to less experienced engineers.
- Coordination of design review and construction supervision of all project structural elements, including temporary works, earthworks, bridges, retaining walls, drainage culverts and any other structures including the management of the structural/bridge engineering team in coordination with the Senior Engineer and Program Manager.
- Establish the schedule, methods and procedures for the construction supervision of all earthworks and structural elements.
- Ensuring/conducting various type of tests such as earth-works and Concrete tests (soil compaction, concrete compressive strength test, soil bearing capacity, tests on concrete ingredients etc…).
- Be familiar with AASHTO or relevant standards for road and bridge designs.
- Ensuring that all the supplied materials, equipment, etc. are in accordance with the approved specifications.
- The road and bridge engineer provides technical assistance to QC Engineer and other related staff.
- Be able to produce road profile, cross section and calculate the quantity of cut and fill.
- Perform any other related duties as may be directed by senior irrigation design engineer, program manager or program director.
Maintenance of relations:
- Interpersonal Communications and Teamwork: Work effectively and efficiently with staff at all levels, listen to others and openly share own ideas. Express sensitivity, cultural empathy and respect for diversity. Productively handle differing views and opinions and strive for achievement of shared goals. Respond positively to feedback.
- Proactive in communication and ensuing donor for proper usage of international road and bridge design standards.
General Mercy Corps:
- Ensure program activities and focus fit into the MC Afghanistan Strategic Framework and provide input into the Strategic Framework.
- Adhere to Mercy Corps’ security procedures and Afghanistan-specific security protocols;
While sending your CV & Cover letter, please mention the vacancy number and position in the subject line, application received after the closing date and without subject line will not be given consideration. Please include three references from you previous and current supervisors in your CV and make sure that their official email addresses are mentioned in the reference information.
Only short listed candidates whose application responds to the above criteria will be contacted for interview