Position Title: Quality Control Engineer
Activation Date: 08 Aug, 2019 Announced Date: 08 Aug, 2019 Expire Date: 20 Aug, 2019
About Mercy Corps:
Mercy Corps has been continuously operational in Afghanistan since 1986, implementing more than 50 programs and is currently working in seven provinces of Afghanistan. Mercy Corps has emerged as a leader in the fields of agriculture, natural resources management, vocational training, renewable energy and economic development. Programs focus on the improvement of the lives and livelihoods of Afghan farmers, businesspersons and women, with an increasing focus on youth.
The KfW funded Economic Infrastructure Development for Afghanistan (EIDA) is part of the NRM Sector of the Mercy Corps Afghanistan Country Program.
The Project concerns the rehabilitation of rural access roads, smaller bridges, the rehabilitation and construction of market, storage and wheat fortification facilities as well as seed banks in the Northern provinces of Afghanistan in order to improve market access opportunities, household income and employment opportunities.
The purpose of the Project is geared towards (i) better access to market infrastructure, storage and processing facilities; (ii) improved transport infrastructure and reduced transport costs; (iii) an increase in household income; (iv) increase in market volume of wheat and other agricultural products (metric tons); (v) safeguarding and increasing temporary and seasonal recurrent employment opportunities.
The Project thus contributes to a sustainable economic development by improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the wheat value chain and other agricultural products and thus raising incomes and creating jobs in rural areas of Northern Afghanistan. The Project is assumed to be complementary to the Activities of EIDA I and II as well as to the Technical Cooperation (TC) project Sustainable Economic Development and Employment Promotion (SEDEP).
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Quality Control Engineer will be the Mercy Corps-EIDA project’s technical person, and work under the supervision of Senior Irrigation design Engineer and/or program manager. This position is responsible for planning, implementing and monitoring of all quality control and quality assurance activities and policies for the irrigation, road and bridge projects of the Mercy Corps EIDA I, II & III program. He/she will report to the Senior Irrigation design Engineer, work under the overall supervision of the program manager in close collaboration with the irrigation design engineer & hydrologist, survey engineer and community mobilization officers. He/she will be the responsible for daily quality control during project implementation, documentation of the quality control process, developing, improving & implementing quality control plan, ESMP plans and fulfilling quality assurance policies. He/she will provide technical inputs in technical specification, environmental and social management plans.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ensuring/conducting various type of tests such as Earth works and Concrete tests (soil compaction, concrete compressive strength test, soil bearing capacity, tests on concrete ingredients etc…).
- Ensuring that all the supplied materials, equipment, etc. are in accordance with the approved specifications.
- The Quality control engineer is also responsible for monitoring the other component’s works to make sure they comply with technical specification, drawings and standard quality.
- The QC engineer provides technical assistance to site engineers and other related staff during the period of the project work.
- Ensure construction/rehabilitation of irrigation infrastructures is according to the engineering standards and local conditions specific climate affecting irrigation requirements.
- Follow the Mercy Corps quality control plan and have provide great innovation ideas for better QC process.
- Communicate with external quality assurance officers during on-site inspections.
- The QC engineer is responsible for arranging preparatory meetings of QC process, inspections reports and the documentation issued by inspectors, collects and files the required Quality Records.
- Record/documentation of QC related data to ensure a standard QA procedure.
- The QA/QC engineer is responsible to implement the pavement design at the site
- Onsite quality control during the road pavement construction and concrete works.
- Control the concrete mix design during the production and implementation.
- Be able to produce road profile, cross section and calculate the quantity of cut and fill.
- Prepare as build drawings using AutoCAD, for irrigation projects and road for better quality control.
- Perform any other related duties as may be directed by senior irrigation design engineer, program manager or program director.
Maintenance of relations:
- Interpersonal Communications and Teamwork: Work effectively and efficiently with staff at all levels, listen to others and openly share own ideas. Express sensitivity, cultural empathy and respect for diversity. Productively handle differing views and opinions and strive for achievement of shared goals. Respond positively to feedback.
- Proactive in communication and holding quality control preparatory meetings with the contractor, monitoring consultancy and other project stakeholders.
While sending your CV & Cover letter, please mention the vacancy number and position in the subject line, application received after the closing date and without subject line will not be given consideration. Please include three references from you previous and current supervisors in your CV and make sure that their official email addresses are mentioned in the reference information.
Only short listed candidates whose application responds to the above criteria will be contacted for interview.