Position Title: Value Chain and Wheat Seed Specialist
Activation Date: 08 Aug, 2019 Announced Date: 08 Aug, 2019 Expire Date: 20 Aug, 2019
About Mercy Corps:
Mercy Corps has been continuously operational in Afghanistan since 1986, implementing more than 50 programs and is currently working in seven provinces of Afghanistan. Mercy Corps has emerged as a leader in the fields of agriculture, natural resources management, vocational training, renewable energy and economic development. Programs focus on the improvement of the lives and livelihoods of Afghan farmers, businesspersons and women, with an increasing focus on youth.
The KfW funded Economic Infrastructure Development for Afghanistan (EIDA) is part of the NRM Sector of the Mercy Corps Afghanistan Country Program.
The Project concerns the rehabilitation of rural access roads, smaller bridges, the rehabilitation and construction of market, storage and wheat fortification facilities as well as seed banks in the Northern provinces of Afghanistan in order to improve market access opportunities, household income and employment opportunities.
The purpose of the Project is geared towards (i) better access to market infrastructure, storage and processing facilities; (ii) improved transport infrastructure and reduced transport costs; (iii) an increase in household income; (iv) increase in market volume of wheat and other agricultural products (metric tons); (v) safeguarding and increasing temporary and seasonal recurrent employment opportunities.
The Project thus contributes to a sustainable economic development by improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the wheat value chain and other agricultural products and thus raising incomes and creating jobs in rural areas of Northern Afghanistan. The Project is assumed to be complementary to the Activities of EIDA I and II as well as to the Technical Cooperation (TC) project Sustainable Economic Development and Employment Promotion (SEDEP).
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Value Chain and Wheat Seed Specialist will be the Mercy Corps-EIDA project’s technical person, and work under the supervision of senor agriculture specialist and/or program manager. This position is responsible for planning, implementing and monitoring of all value chain and wheat seed activities of the Mercy Corps EIDA III program. He/she will report to the senior agriculture specialist work under the overall supervision of the program manager in close collaboration with the agro-economist, agricultural specialists and community mobilization officers. He/She will be the responsible for collecting agricultural data including wheat seed and value chain, data analysis and conducting technical, economic, social and environmental feasibility studies for the wheat and other agricultural products value chains. In addition, He/she will provide technical guidance and capacity building trainings to the project’s beneficiaries.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work closely with the technical team to map value chain including main actors, flow of products, infrastructure facilities, financial institutions and all supporting opportunities.
- Conduct technical, economic, social and environmental feasibility studies for the wheat and if necessary for other agricultural products
- Conduct value chain assessment to identify gaps and develop recommendation on how to improve the selected value chains and maximize the impact.
- Provide technical support for the formation of CBOs and association or producer groups.
- Develop and deliver capacity development activities in the areas of wheat production, productivity, agribusiness, value chain and marketing development.
- Provide technical guidance to establish community based seed bank for the wheat producing farmers.
- Provide technical guidance and recommendation for improved wheat seed’s varieties adaptive to the project target areas, and identify the better source for improved wheat seed.
- Lead the implementation of a detailed Annual Work-plan on the community seed bank establishment, household grain storage, wheat processing/fortification, and upgrading market and trade place components of the project
- Collect wheat/seed production data, and assess problems, challenges and constraints available in the target areas that imped the developing of wheat and other agri-products value chains
- Assist the Agro-economist in analyzing wheat/seed production data to prepare recommendations for value chain development, increase productivity and profitability for wheat producers.
- Plan, implement, manage and guide wheat/seed value chain activities, data collection and analysis, in particular the training on improved production practices, genetic potential, mechanization to reduce traditional cultural practices and options for improved wheat and wheat seed harvesting, sorting, grading, cleaning, quality control and storage, processing and marketing.
- He/S is responsible for the development of improved and expanded processing and marketing facilities for wheat grain.
- Create linkage between wheat seed enterprise, wheat producers, and market and value chain actors.
- Participate in, and eventually lead the development of feasibility reports, case studies and success stories.
- Report on progress of work/program and signal in advance problems that may hamper such progress.
- Ensure better coordination and communication with the DAIL representative, local institution and program staff.
- Conduct key informant interview and focus group discussion for collecting data and information.
- Provide feedback to the Monitoring and Evaluation system in order to assess the effectiveness of the projects and impact, and propose recommendations for improvements.
- Coordinate and communicate with local authorities, program monitoring consulting firm, donor and other implementing partners to avoid overlapping and obtain all necessary no objection certifications.
- Perform any other related duties as may be directed by senior agriculture specialist, program manager or program director.
Maintenance of relations:
- Interpersonal Communications and Teamwork: Work effectively and efficiently with staff at all levels, listen to others and openly share own ideas. Express sensitivity, cultural empathy and respect for diversity. Productively handle differing views and opinions and strive for achievement of shared goals. Respond positively to feedback.
- Knowledge Exchange and Learning: Share own knowledge and promote a learning culture within the work environment. Actively work towards professional development, including personal learning. Apply newly acquired skills and support flexibility within the work environment.
- Evaluate project outcome and goal
While sending your CV & Cover letter, please mention the vacancy number and position in the subject line, application received after the closing date and without subject line will not be given consideration. Please include three references from you previous and current supervisors in your CV and make sure that their official email addresses are mentioned in the reference information.
Only short listed candidates whose application responds to the above criteria will be contacted for interview.