Position Title: Agro-Economist
Activation Date: 08 Aug, 2019 Announced Date: 08 Aug, 2019 Expire Date: 20 Aug, 2019
About Mercy Corps:
Mercy Corps has been continuously operational in Afghanistan since 1986, implementing more than 50 programs and is currently working in seven provinces of Afghanistan. Mercy Corps has emerged as a leader in the fields of agriculture, natural resources management, vocational training, renewable energy and economic development. Programs focus on the improvement of the lives and livelihoods of Afghan farmers, businesspersons and women, with an increasing focus on youth.
The KfW funded Economic Infrastructure Development for Afghanistan (EIDA) is part of the NRM Sector of the Mercy Corps Afghanistan Country Program.
The Project concerns the rehabilitation of rural access roads, smaller bridges, the rehabilitation and construction of market, storage and wheat fortification facilities as well as seed banks in the Northern provinces of Afghanistan in order to improve market access opportunities, household income and employment opportunities.
The purpose of the Project is geared towards (i) better access to market infrastructure, storage and processing facilities; (ii) improved transport infrastructure and reduced transport costs; (iii) an increase in household income; (iv) increase in market volume of wheat and other agricultural products (metric tons); (v) safeguarding and increasing temporary and seasonal recurrent employment opportunities.
The Project thus contributes to a sustainable economic development by improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the wheat value chain and other agricultural products and thus raising incomes and creating jobs in rural areas of Northern Afghanistan. The Project is assumed to be complementary to the Activities of EIDA I and II as well as to the Technical Cooperation (TC) project Sustainable Economic Development and Employment Promotion (SEDEP).
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Agro-economist will be the Mercy Corps-EIDA project’s technical person, and work under the supervision of senor agriculture specialist and/or program manager. This position is responsible for examining and analysis of data and information including analysis of production, consumption, and distribution. He is overall responsible for estimating the supply and demand of wheat grain and other agricultural products both for the command area population, and identifies agricultural market in and around the project target areas for the grain surplus or increased marketed volumes. Agro-Economist will manage economic analysis, provide professional or evidence based concept assumption and recommendation for the developing wheat value chain. In addition, he/she works closely with the Value Chain and Wheat Seed Specialist to select projects, conduct feasibility studies in collaboration with other program staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- The Agro-economist should have technical knowledge of examining and analysing the agricultural data and statistics as well as interpret analytical result into the technical prediction, and evidence driven assumption.
- He/she should collect agricultural, social and environmental data from the potential projects’ sites.
- He/S creates devices or methods on how to gather important data as well as properly using the data acquired.
- The Agro-economist should forecast the economic situation related to agriculture using various techniques that could give an educated predication of the agricultural sector
- He/she is responsible to participate in selection of projects, conducting, preliminary assessment, appraisal study, feasibility studies and preparing the economic or cost benefit analysis for the proposed measure.
- Agro-economist will collect and examine data to determine patterns and trends in economic activity, to maximize profitability in agriculture to the benefit of agro-economic based community.
- They also conduct key informant interview and focus group discussion to collect data, organize and analysis them.
- He/S should focus on the study areas such as; wheat and other agricultural products’ value chain, natural resource management, agricultural marketing systems,
- He/S should present a short-term forecast or long-term prediction for some part of the wheat value chain and agricultural market,
- This involves devising data collection methods and using appropriate statistical methods to obtain useful information.
- He/S should incorporate the analytic result and findings into the feasibility report, as well as communicate the findings at the meeting and workshop with the program’s partners and stakeholders.
- Provide feedback to the Monitoring and Evaluation system in order to assess the effectiveness of the projects and impact, and propose recommendations for improvements.
- Coordinate and communicate with local authorities, program monitoring consulting firm, donor and other implementing partners to avoid overlapping and obtain all necessary no objection certifications.
Maintenance of relations:
- Maintain clear and open lines of communication with other technical staff of implementing partners.
- Evaluate project outcome and goal
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- BSc or Master Degree in agricultural economy, marketing system, and agricultural policies.
- At least 5 years of experience in the related agricultural, marketing, value chain analysis and economic sectors with INGOs or Government ministries with the similar contextual areas.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Experience in developing clear and concise concept paper, feasibility report and cost benefit analysis.
- Strong computer skills on MS Office programs and relevant computer software that are prerequisite for data analysis and analytical reporting.
- Having deep interest in economics, agriculture and the natural environment
- Having high mathematical, analytical and scientific aptitude
- Creative, thorough and analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Good communication, research and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action to not delay program activities.
- A clear understanding of assets, transport, property ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- Should have the ability to have frequent travels to all project’s targeted areas.
The successful candidate will have the ability to work comfortably and effectively in the religious, security and political climate of Afghanistan. Security permitting, s/he must be willing to undertake travel frequently on rough terrain within the program area.
While sending your CV & Cover letter, please mention the vacancy number and position in the subject line, application received after the closing date and without subject line will not be given consideration. Please include three references from you previous and current supervisors in your CV and make sure that their official email addresses are mentioned in the reference information.
Only short listed candidates whose application responds to the above criteria will be contacted for interview.