Position Title: Sr. Municipal Team Lead & Governance/Public Administration Advisor
Activation Date: 03 Dec, 2019 Announced Date: 03 Dec, 2019 Expire Date: 17 Dec, 2019
Since late November 2014, DAI has been implementing the USAID funded Strong Hubs for Afghan Hope and Resilience (SHAHAR) project with the Deputy Ministry of Municipalities (DMM) and in up to twenty provincial municipalities across Afghanistan in order to form well-governed, fiscally sustainable Afghan municipalities capable of meeting the needs of a growing urban population. As of November 30, 2017, the SHAHAR project is extended for two additional years in order to continue to partner with and support DMM; to partner with and support Kabul Municipality in the core areas of administrative efficiency, client management, rehabilitation of municipal landfills, and revenue generation; and to continue to partner with and build the capacity of the four regional hub provincial capitals of Kandahar City, Herat, Jalalabad, and Mazar-e-Sharif to serve as regional learning hubs, providing a mechanism to continue to deliver technical assistance and training to all 20 original SHAHAR partner municipalities, while also strengthening the capacity of municipal staff and systems in the regional hub provincial municipalities.
In 2019, USAID expanded SHAHAR’s program activities to the following 10 additional municipalities: Puli Alam (Logar Province), Maydan Shahr (Maydan Wardak Province), Ghazni (Ghazni Province), Qalat (Zabul Province), Lashkar Gah (Helmand Province), Aybak (Samangan Province), Maymana (Faryab Province), Qala-I-Naw (Badghis Province), Chaharikar (Parwan Province), and Puli Khumri (Baghlan Province).
The Senior Municipal Team Lead and Governance/Public Administration Advisor provides mentorship, capacity building/training, and other technical assistance to the regional municipality tashkeel staff in relation to municipal governance policy and decision making, including support to Municipal Advisory Boards. S/he and will oversee the other embedded advisors in the municipal office. S/he will be physically located in the municipal government offices and will be the main point of contact for the mayor.
Objectives and Duties
The Senior Municipal Team Lead/Government/Public Administration Advisor’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Be the main focal point for SHAHAR in the municipality regarding the organization and carrying out of the Municipal Governance Capacity Index assessments in the municipality;
- Contribute to the development of and lead the implementation of the customized municipal capacity building plan for the municipality;
- Lead the process for developing the regional municipality as a regional learning hub for other provincial and district municipalities in the region;
- Work with municipal officials to facilitate the adoption of DMM standard operating procedures (SOPs) in the municipality;
- Lead interactions with municipal officials and Municipal Advisory Boards (MABs) for the development of public outreach, transparency and accountability efforts, including the development and implementation of strategic communications plans and the ongoing management of the Citizen Service Center (CSC) in the municipality;
- Be the main point of contact with the municipality mayor for implementation of the SHAHAR project;
- Coordinate with other SHAHAR advisors to ensure seamless support across all municipal functions, especially where areas of responsibility overlap;
- Supervise team of embedded advisors, including ensuring that EAs for all sectors are facilitating the use of IFMS by the municipality as appropriate;
- Other duties as assigned by the Deputy Chief of Party or the Kabul Senior Management Team.
Note: Subject line should be only: Wardak-Sr, Municipal Team Lead & Governance/Public Administration Advisor -Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please send your cover letter and CV in one file to email@example.com.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply and will be given preference.