Position Title: PROGRAMME MANAGER FOR INCLUSIVE PEACE (Female) (re-announced)
Activation Date: 28 Sep, 2020 Announced Date: 27 Oct, 2020 Expire Date: 02 Nov, 2020
Background Information - Cordaid
Cordaid was established in 2000, when several Dutch aid organizations joined forces. But our history goes back more than a century. Cordaid has changed over the years and is more than a donor now. Reducing fragility has become our core priority and we work in all contexts of fragility, from relief, through rehabilitation to longer term development. To do this effectively we seek funds, start partnerships and compete on a global market.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments and inspired by compassion, solidarity and subsidiarity, Cordaid’s mission is to reduce fragility and the vulnerability of people where it is most needed and most difficult. We recognize that the overriding challenge in fragile and (post-)conflict countries is restoring trust and social cohesion, at community level and between communities and the state. This is what Cordaid does, right in the heart of communities, by mobilizing global networks, resources and knowledge. By doing this, we help people move beyond survival and live in dignity.
Cordaid does this by promoting equality and social inclusion, by increasing the resilience of people and societies and by strengthening the social contract between citizens and their governments. Wherever we can, we combine lifesaving humanitarian aid with the longer-term improvement of health care systems, economic opportunities and resilience, and the promotion of security and justice.
Background Information - Afghanistan Country Office
Cordaid is working in and on fragility, and has been active in Afghanistan since 2001, aiming at a stable and peaceful country. We work in 6 thematic areas, supported by lobby and advocacy activities: health care, inclusive peace, security & justice, humanitarian aid, resilience and private sector development. We provide programmatic leadership and require that our operations and those of our local partners are implemented to the highest standards complemented with knowledge generation that incorporates best practices and lessons learned.
Background Information - Job-specific
The Programme Manager for Inclusive Peace will be responsible for building an inclusive peace portfolio that facilitates social peace at community level and enables inclusive peace efforts at all levels, from community to international level. S/he will develop partnerships and successfully compete in the marketplace aiming at diversification and growth of Cordaid’s Inclusive Peace portfolio in Afghanistan reaching out to multiple stakeholders ranging from clients to partners to beneficiaries.
Under the overall direction of the Programmes Director, and in accordance with Cordaid policies, procedures and practices, the Programme Manager for Inclusive Peace will lead his/her teams in developing and managing relevant and innovative approaches to work on priorities of Cordaid within Afghanistan. S/he will closely work with operations colleagues to ensure efficient and effective support to programme and project development, implementation and closure while maintaining strong internal controls. S/he would also closely monitor and facilitate the evaluation of results and impacts in close coordination with the Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (PMEAL) team and facilitate shared programme learning.
Provide Programme Leadership and Oversight
- Support strategies and plans prepared by the Programmes Director’s in helping to make a positive difference to the lives of people, families and communities, paying special attention to gender equality and youth.
- In close collaboration with Cordaid experts, develop and implement an appropriate and effective strategy and associated plans for building and implementing inclusive peace programmes and projects that includes the setting of clear objectives, realistic timelines, full cost recovery budgets and key performance indicators.
- In close collaboration with the Programmes Director, experts and other colleagues lead the diversification and growth of Cordaid’s inclusive peace portfolio within Afghanistan with a focus on quality and impact, by:
- building and strengthening strategic partnerships through active networking, advocacy and effective communication of Cordaid competencies and track record in delivering strategic partnership on inclusive peace programmes and projects efficiently and effectively;
- developing concepts and quality proposals that consider multiple sectors and integration of various thematic areas in which Cordaid has developed a comparative advantage, which attract donor interest and/or respond to competitive sourcing in the market place;
- communicating results, outcomes and impacts in quantifiable and qualitative terms.
- Provide strategic and technical guidance on key components of Cordaid’s inclusive peace work to foster good practices and ensure that minimum standards are met.
- Conduct regular field visits to monitor the progress of programmes and projects on the ground and ensure effective oversight of and support of local partners taking corrective action with minimal delay.
- Maintain effective coordination with other Programme Managers and with Regional Field Coordinators to enable the development of an integrated and innovative portfolio.
- Maintain effective coordination with the PMEAL manager to ensure timely and correct measurement of results, outcomes and impacts and to facilitate learning towards continuous improvements in the design and delivery of programmes and projects.
Build effective Inclusive Peace Programmes and Projects
- Build well-functioning Inclusive Peace Programme and Project Management teams, and mentor their Managers reporting to her/him.
- Ensure active participation in relevant cluster and other coordination working groups meetings that are relevant to the inclusive peace work and other priorities related to the 6 programmatic areas implemented by Cordaid in Afghanistan (humanitarian aid, resilience, private sector development, inclusive peace, security & justice and health) representing Cordaid and following-up on key issues with sector experts.
- Utilize data and analyses to build and finetune responsive programmes and projects that effectively enhance inclusive peace.
- Ensure timely information on progress and results is available by compiling, organizing, analysing, monitoring, and preparing data for situation reports, fact sheets, donor reports, briefing notes, and other reporting and communications products, including pictures and videos.
- Undertake regular field visits to gather information on results related to inclusive peace activities in Afghanistan to ensure that all relevant data from the field is captured, documented and reported in a timely and results-based manner for key stakeholders (donors, clusters, etc.) and for internal purposes.
- Prepare fact-based messages and quality material for distribution through social and printed media that effectively communicates to external audiences the challenges as well as results achieved in realizing inclusive peace.
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with assigned programme and project staff, sector experts and other key stakeholders (beneficiaries, implementing partners, local and national government officials, UN agencies, Embassies, NGOs, etc.), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Ensure quality project management compliance with scope, time and budgets, by:
- adherence to project management policies, procedures and practices in accordance with agreed standards and requirements.
- preparing and implementing project and programme plans that include clear objectives, realistic timelines, full cost recovery budgets and key performance indicators.
- ensuring the timely and cost-effective implementation of programmes and projects within approved budgets that meet or exceed client expectations.
- ensuring timely and accurate tracking of results, analysis of inputs versus outputs and outcomes, and effective results-based reporting.
- Supervise and support local partners and develop partner monitoring and capacity building tools that enable quality, results orientation and integrity in the delivery of programmes and projects through contractual arrangements with local partners.
- Ensure effective risk assessment and management of programmes and projects.
- Ensure effective risk assessment and management of consortium and implementing partners.
- Decide, plan and organize internal meetings, retreats, teleconferences etc. to ensure regular communication with colleagues, clients, partners and other counterparts.
Manage Programme Resources
- Enforce management of resources in accordance with Cordaid standards of ethics, integrity and financial sustainability.
- Plan, recruit and develop personnel/technical experts with the skills and competencies needed to ensure optimum performance and encouraging the formation of diverse teams in terms of gender and other diversity indicators.
- Stimulate teamwork, collaboration and diversity by providing the programme and project teams in Kabul and in the field with clear directions, objectives and guidance to enable them to perform their duties responsibly, effectively and efficiently.
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both women and men, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
- Plan, conduct and/or respond to Cordaid performance evaluation reviews and surveys.
- Act as Project Manager adhering to specific terms of reference in addition to regular Programme Manager responsibilities as and when necessary.
Support Effective Security in the Field
- Work closely with the National Security Advisor to ensure that security policies, procedures, practices and capacities support “direct implementation” in the field taking into account the need to deliver quality services to people, families and communities while facilitating “Duty of Care” for Cordaid staff.
- Work closely with communities supported by programmes and projects implemented by Cordaid in developing effective mechanisms to prevent and resolve (potential) conflicts and harm to Cordaid staff in an expedient and effective manner.
- Prevent incidents through “community acceptance” and resolve incidents through “community engagement”.
Contribute to Knowledge Management and Innovation
- Contribute to the development and introduction of innovation to ensure Cordaid is continually incorporating best practice approaches in Country Office operations.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building and, contribute to relevant Communities of Experts and Communities of Practice accordingly.
- At the request of the Programmes Director and in collaboration with the Operations Director, plan, implement and organize strategic capacity building of project staff, partners and other stakeholders.
Undertake other duties as may be assigned by the Programmes Director
The successful delivery of results by the Programme Manager directly impacts the performance of programmes and projects implemented by Cordaid as well as its reputation as an effective partner in achieving positive results that lead to flourishing communities in fragile settings.
- Master’s degree in International Relations, Political Sciences, Peace, Law or equivalent.
- A Bachelor’s degree is acceptable if complemented with five years of professional experience.
- At least 5 years of experience that combines strategic and managerial leadership in Inclusive & Engendered Peace or Women, Peace & Security (WPS) programme development/implementation.
- Good capacity building and management skills, including human resource and financial management, communications and intercultural cooperation skills.
- Good lobby and advocacy skills.
- A networker, diplomatic and results oriented, with the ability to work under stressful and time bound project conditions.
- Flexible and capable of working in a stressful context.
- Good oral and written communication skills in English language.
- Good oral and written communication skills in Dari or Pashto language.
- Ability to lead and manage a diverse group of colleagues to achieve results in a responsible and collaborative manner through clear direction, supervision and modelling behaviour.
- Ability to clearly and convincingly communicate ideas and concepts in writing and orally.
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and models, and to introduce new approaches and strategic innovations.
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with International Organizations, Embassies, and other partners to promote partnerships and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies.
- Excellent interpersonal, co-ordination and negotiation skills, and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, creativity and innovation, learning, accountability, planning and organization, results orientation, teamwork and technological solutions.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in Cordaid and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting.
- Good knowledge of best practices in peacebuilding and strategic partnerships.
- Good knowledge of best practices in WPS, EVAW, CEDAW and other relevant policies
- Good knowledge in project management (from design to implementation to closure, incl. evaluation).
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills.