Position Title: Safety & Security Officer
Activation Date: 15 September, 2021 Announced Date: 15 September, 2021 Expire Date: 27 September, 2021
About Save the Children:
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
SCI - Afghanistan
Save the Children has been working in Afghanistan since 1976. Our way of working close to people and on their own terms has enabled us to deliver lasting change to tens of thousands of children in the country. The UN Convention of the Rights of the Child is the basis of our work.
We are helping children get a better education, we make it possible for more boys and girls to attend school, we help children protect themselves and influence their own conditions. We work with families, communities and health workers in homes, clinics and hospitals to promote basic health in order to save lives of children and mothers
The Safety and Security Officer is responsible for the application of safety and security management policies and procedures at the provincial level. S/he is responsible for facilitating safe programming and access at the provincial level. S/he will support the Provincial Manager in ensuring that all project sites are accessible, based on up-to-date contextual analysis, networking and information-gathering. This should be based on the ongoing assessment of threats and provision of advice to manage risk.
Besides this, it is the role of the Safety and Security Officer to build the capacity of staff to manage security risks, be aware of and understand contingency plans, and be prepared to withstand any critical emergency.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Physical safety of office:
- Ensure that the provincial office, warehouses and guesthouses are appropriately secure and well-maintained.
- Maintain responsibility for the installation and maintenance of security installations including CCTV cameras, door locks, tracking devices, first aid kits, hibernation kits, fire alarms, fire extinguishers and smoke detectors.
- Ensure that male and female guards are in place and that they are well-trained to do their job diligently.
- Ensure that visitors and vehicles are checked and logged accordingly to security protocol.
- Ensure that safe rooms are well-equipped, regularly checked and secure in the event of an emergency.
- Raise procurement requests whenever security items are required.
- Review performance of direct reports (i.e. guards) as part of the Develop to Perform system.
Strong staff knowledge of security plans:
- Ensure that all briefings are high-quality and up-to-date based on the latest contextual information.
- Orient and ensure that staff adhere to standard operating procedures as well as various contingency plans, policies and procedures.
- Run regular simulations and drills to improve and test staff knowledge of key emergency procedures.
- Provide security training materials and participate in providing training for security guards.
- Ensure that communication systems are adequate and maintained and provide training to staff on the use of such equipment and communications protocols.
- Ensure that safe driving is well-understood and implemented by drivers and passengers alike.
- Identify security-related information sources and develop an information-gathering network in Save the Children’s operational areas.
- Ensure that briefing documents and maps are developed/updated to orient all new staff (national and international) about the overall security situation and threats and procedures in SCI impact areas.
- Conduct ongoing threat assessments and compile reports on security assessments of office, staff houses, field sites and project areas.
- Disseminate SMS messages to staff whenever an alert arises.
Support to visitors:
- Brief staff and visitors on the safety and security situation,rules and regulation and emergency respons plan upon joining or visiting the provincial office. For international staff, this should be upon arrival or within 24 hours.
- Accompany visitors to field sites where required.
Ensuring safe journeys:
- Maintain awareness of staffs’ daily movements, and advise where changes need to be made.
- Checking vehicles weekly to see whether or not they are equipped with safety and security equipment, seatbelts, vehicle tools, first aid kits, fire extinguishers, A/C and Heaters during winter and summer times.
- Ensure systems are in place to instantly respond to a crisis.
- Coordinate post-incident follow up actions, analysis and recommendations in coordination with the Safety and Security team in the Country Office.
- Investigate loss/damages, car accidents and any other related issue when requested.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Undergraduate degree in relevant subject
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- 2 years of security-related experience
- Previous experience in an INGO
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure and make decisions, even when difficult
- Ability to work as a team player and to gain credibility with colleagues and stakeholders at all level
- Fluent in Pashto and/or Dari
- Intermediate in English
- Skills in networking and contextual analysis
- Good self-starter with effective time management skills
- Positive, solution-driven, respectful and with a ‘can-do’ attitude
- IT skills (e.g. Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Ability and willingness to travel within Afghanistan
- Experience in access negotiations
- Experience working in humanitarian emergencies across multiple areas of Afghanistan
- Previous experience in NNGOs/INGOs, UN etc.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Qualified applicants are highly encouraged to apply for the position by filling in the online application form. In addition to the online application form, they can also attach their CV and cover letter in the online system. Please note that only the applications received through the online portal will be considered for this position.
Applicants can login to the online application system by copying and pasting the following link intro their web browser. Returning users will need to enter their username and password, first time users will need to create a user account.
It is recommended that you save your username and password for future job applications through the online system.