Request For Aga Khan Foundation
Request For Short term assignment for Conducting GIS Training
Aga Khan Foundation (AKF-A) L&D Unit is planning to provide GIS Training for its relevant staff at AKF Afghanistan in Kabul. We are seeking to contract a consultancy or firm to carry forward the assignment in Kabul during Nov or Dec 2023.
Since the establishment of L&D in 2010 numbers of employees have received capacity building opportunities in various fields nationally and internationally to strengthen their capacity to achieve the goal and objective of the organization. The provided capability building program included such as Masters, Bachelors, Certifications, Diplomas, and workshops.
In the current situation, we felt the most need of local GIS expertise within the organization, considering this need we seek to hire someone who has the right capacity and experiences to commence this training.
2. Project Background
The Learning and Development program was initiated to enhance the technical, managerial, and leadership skills and competencies of local employees in Afghanistan while developing clear pathways for role succession and a leadership pipeline. L&D aims to develop employees with a focus on women and regional employees to bring them into the AKF-A’s leadership pipeline and enhance their technical knowledge and skills through implementations of various L&D activities.
3. Scope of work/ overall objectives
The specific objective of the training is to carry out the concepts in theoretical and practical ways as below:
- Introduction to GIS concepts
Principles of GIS and Remote Sensing, Components of GIS Systems, GIS Capabilities and Functions, Spatial Data Infrastructure and analysis.
- Introduction to GIS data
Vector geometries, Vector information, Raster basics, Data attribute table, Metadata.
- Spatial Reference Systems
Map projections, Coordinate system, GPS system.
- ODK and GIS
Introduction to Mobile Data Collection using ODK, GIS Mapping ODK collected data, KOBOO Tool and Power BI.
- GIS Data Acquisition
Extracting data from Satellite images, Remote sensing data, extracting data from online GIS data sources, Obtaining Data from topographic sheets, Downloading Data from open street maps.
- Loading GIS Data into QGIS/ArcGIS
Vector and raster data layer, working with attributes, importing data from (Excel, text, CSV, and other formats, Adding a base map.
- Arc catalog
Create Folder, Create File Geodatabase, Create Personal Geodatabase, Create Layer..., Create Shapefile (Line, point and polygon).
- Key Options of Geospatial Data Representations
- Styling geographical features
Basic vector styling, Basic raster styling, Raster mosaicking and clipping.
Buffer, Clip, Intersect, Union, Dissolve, Merge.
- Selection methods of features
Select by attribute table, Select by location.
- Conversion tools from Arc toolbox full covered
- Raster interpolation
IDW, Kriging, Spline, Topo to raster.
- Overlay tools
Erase, Identity, Spatial query, Update.
- Join (Spatial join, Table join)
- Data Management tools
Attachments, Data Comparison, Distributed Geodatabase, Domains, Feature Class, Features, Fields, File Geodatabase, General, Generalization, Geometric Network, Graph, Indexes, Package, Photos, Projections and Transformations, Raster Relationship Classes, Sampling, Subtypes, Table.
- Spatial Analyst tools
Conditional, Density, Distance, Extraction, Generalization, Groundwater, Hydrology, Interpolation, Local, Map Algebra, Multivariate, Neighbourhood, Overlay, Raster Creation, Reclass, Segmentation and Classification, Solar Radiation, Surface, Zonal.
- Layout view mapping
Data frames, Extent indicators, Grids, Coordinate system, Clipping, Legends, Title and text, neat line and north arrow, Scale, Data drive page and how use from that for export mapping.
- Exporting Maps to all formats.
- Spatial statistics tools (Analyzing patterns, Mapping clusters.
- Provide information about GIS applications type (ArcGIS desktop, GIS mobile, QGIS, ArcGIS pro, ArcGIS online).
- Usage of GIS in Agriculture and preparation of these mentioned products (Land cover, change detection, temperature, NDVI and drought).
- Usage of GIS in Hazard mapping and must be prepare one of the mentioned maps (flood, avalanche, earthquake, and landslide).
- Usage of GIS in M&E.
- Provide a meaningful presentation of How to use from GIS file in GPX viewer for better finding the location of all activities.
- How could use and visualize baseline, end line, and PDM, and another quantitative data at the GIS mapping and disseminate these maps in the mentioned report (baseline, end line PDM, and any others).
- Present the site select model in infrastructure projects and conduct a site selection project.
- In Final the consultancy should provide a mean full manual for practical mapping.
- In the end training every one of the participants should provide a comprehensive map from this training and show GIS benefit usage for project activities and present that.
- To provide findings, conclusions, recommendations, and lessons for future improvement.
4. Main duties and responsibilities
- GIS Trainers is responsible for creating structured and comprehensive training materials, courses, and curricula. He or she develops training modules, lesson plans, and instructional materials that cater to different levels of GIS expertise.
- Provide lectures, demonstrations, hands-on exercises, and real-world examples, to effectively impart GIS concepts and skills to participants.
- Before conducting training, GIS Trainers assess the needs and skill levels of the trainees to tailor the training content accordingly. They may conduct pre-training assessments, surveys, or interviews to gather information about the trainees' existing knowledge and learning goals.
- The trainer will need to to evaluate trainees' performance, provide constructive feedback on assignments and exercises, and offer guidance to help individuals overcome challenges and improve their GIS skills.
The successful firm required to consider adult learning methodology with more practical sessions to transfer the necessary knowledge to the participants and make sure that the participants are gained the full knowledge of GIS to transfer it to the other relevant staff.
It is recommended to consider the learning journey rather than making the training as event through various follow ups mechanisms.
6. Work Location (s)
Kabul – Afghanistan
7. Key Deliverables
- 10 days training (05 days in campus – in person while 05 days would be done online).
- Coaching and mentoring trainees for two months – in three sessions.
8. Qualifications Required
- Master in GIS and have at least 8 years of working experience in senior positions in NGOs or equivalent experience in the same field of training.
- Extensive experience in GIS, M&E, MIS and provided trainings to the NGOs.
- Experience working in the regions in which this study will take place, including knowledge of local language(s) and context.
- Ability and willingness to work in remote, hard-to-reach parts of Afghanistan.
- Ability to prepare analysis, presentations, and reports in English.
9. Timeline / Work Plan
This GIS Training is expected to be carried out from 15th December 2023.
10. Ethical protocols and documents required (if applicable)
Technical and Financial proposal, methodology and ethical considerations to keep the profile confidentiality as well as all other identifier documents that further illustrates the trainer’s working background.
Interested firms or individual should submit their proposal to Jobs.Afghanistan@akdn.org no later than 04th December 2023. For more technical information and query please contact Mr. Nabi Badakhsh at: Nabi.Badakhsh@akdn.org on or before the cutoff date.
• Please quote the Vacancy Number as the Subject of the e-mail when applying.
• Please submit the resume of the responsible individual/team along with the company license when applying.
• Only shortlisted proposals will be contacted for further assessment.
Aga Khan Foundation Afghanistan recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to equal opportunity and safeguarding of children, beneficiaries, partners, community members and employees in accordance with AKF(Afg)’s safeguarding policy. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Your details and information shared in this advertisement shall remain confidential.