Position Title: Regional Design, Estimation and QA, QC Engineer – IP (WERP)
Activation Date: 13 February, 2024 Announced Date: 13 February, 2024 Expire Date: 26 February, 2024
About Aga Khan Foundation:
The Aga Khan Foundation, Afghanistan (AKF (Afg)) is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), a group of international, private, non-denominational development agencies working to improve living conditions and opportunities for people in some of the poorest parts of the developing world. The Network’s organizations have individual mandates that range from the fields of health and education to architecture, rural development and promotion of private-sector enterprise and institutions that seek to empower communities and individuals, usually in disadvantaged circumstances, to improve living conditions and opportunities.
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) is a non-denominational international development agency established in 1967 by His Highness the Aga Khan. Its mission is to develop and promote creative solutions to problems that impede social development, primarily in Asia and East Africa. Created as a private, non- profit foundation under Swiss law, it has branches and independent affiliates in 19 countries.
AKF seeks to provide sustainable solutions to long-term problems of poverty, hunger, illiteracy, and ill health. In Afghanistan, AKF works with rural communities in mountainous, remote or resource poor areas to improve quality of life in the areas of natural resource management, market development, governance, education, and health.
The Design, Estimation and QA, QC Engineer will be responsible for the survey and design of the projects, and overall QA & QC aspects of the construction works carried out by the contractor. He/ She will carry out the data collection, survey, design, estimate and submit the whole package to provincial coordinator for final processing for approval. He/she will work on the progress reporting submitted by the district engineer and forward it to the provincial coordinator with recommendation. Under the direct supervision of the provincial coordinator Design, estimation, and QA/QC Engineer he/she will have the following responsibilities.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Contribute to the development of project plans, timelines, and estimation.
• Prepare the data for design, technical drawings, and specifications for engineering team, ensuring compliance with codes and standards.
• Collaborate with engineering team to select appropriate construction materials in accordance with design requirements, durability, and cost effectiveness.
• To analyze the project requirements and specifications, estimate the costs associated with materials, labors, equipment, and other related factors.
• Develop and implement quality control plans, conduct regular inspections of construction activities, and maintain detailed records of quality control inspections and corrective measures.
• Oversee material testing, improve quality control process by providing training to the engineers and contractors and apply best practices to enhance overall project quality.
• Provide necessary training to contractors’ staff on reporting formats, skills related to carry out the works for labors if required.
• Provide necessary support to district engineers to make sure that contractor is carrying out all the construction works as per the design, specification, and contract documents.
• Develop and implement detailed site-specific safety plan that includes safety protocols, procedures, technologies, and control. Provide safety training for project staff if required.
• Calculate and measure the progress of activities and endorse site measurement and invoices prepared by contractor to be submitted to provincial coordinator for final processing.
• Assist the project team on preparing ESM requirements for the project, measures and mitigation associated to the characteristic of projects and standard requirements.
• Compile the regular progress reports and submit them to provincial coordinator as per the standard reporting format and schedule.
• To carry out the responsibilities of the role in a way which reflects AKF (Afg)'s commitment to safeguarding staff, beneficiaries and protecting children from harm and abuse in accordance with AKF (Afg)s Safeguarding policy.
• To report any suspicions or actual violations of the Safeguarding Policy and/or Child Safeguarding Policy as per the given training.
OCCASIONAL SIGNIFICANT DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• May require attending the meetings held by the AKF team and PIU in provincial level in various occasions.
DECISION-MAKING & AUTHORITY
• Recommendation on design issues if any during the implementation in consultation with regional manager.
• University degree in civil engineering or a related field.
• Proven experience of at least 4 years in rural infrastructure projects, including survey, design, construction, and supervision. Experience in rural water and sanitation, specifically solar powered water projects development, and community driven projects implementation will be preferred.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills to effectively collaborate with stakeholders and team members.
• Familiarity with rural development standards, procedures, and regulations.
• Good in English, and fluent in local languages.
• Excellent technical survey and engineering design review, analyses, problem-solving, and decision- making skills. And knowledge of water supply design software.
REQUIRED CORE COMPETENCIES
• Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
• Excellent stakeholder management skills and profession.
• Very good knowledge and experience in conflict resolution and problem solving in community driven development contexts.
• Familiarity with communities, CDCs, DDAs and CSO will be preferred.
Applicants meeting the above requirements are requested to submit a cover letter along with their CV and the names of three references electronically to email@example.com no later than February 26, 2024 or submit hard copy to AKF Afghanistan, Takhar Regional Office,: PD-1, Sarak-e- Maktab Tajerbawy Sayed Abdurrahman Shaheed, Close to Haji Wazir Hafiz Baik House, Taloqan City, Takhar Province, Afghanistan.
• Please quote the Vacancy Number as the Subject of the e-mail when applying.
• No supporting documents (e.g., diplomas, recommendation letters, identification card(s) etc.) are required at this stage.
• Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for further assessment.
• Salary scale: Grade D based on NTA Salary scale.
Aga Khan Foundation Afghanistan recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to equal opportunity and safeguarding of children, beneficiaries, partners, community members and employees in accordance with AKF(Afg)’s safeguarding policy.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Your details and information shared in this advertisement shall remain confidential.