Position Title: Communication Consultant, Short Term Technical Assistance (STTA)
Activation Date: 18 July, 2021 Announced Date: 17 July, 2021 Expire Date: 30 July, 2021
About Conflict Mitigation Assistance for Civilians (COMAC):
Blumont’s Conflict Mitigation Assistance for Civilians (COMAC) program provides comprehensive victims’ assistance (VA) to Afghan families suffering from military operations by delivering direct and indirect assistance, building the capacity of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GoIRA), advocacy, and outreach. To build a sustainable base for VA in Afghanistan, COMAC focuses on building the capacity of the Ministry of Martyrs and Disabled Affairs (MMD), as the main governmental entity for VA services. In addition, COMAC has to address the broader challenges of collecting and managing data in a still kinetic environment, national and provincial-level stakeholder coordination, resource mobilization, enacting rights-based legislation and policies, and the systemic inclusion of victims and mainstreaming VA across projects, programs and sectors. Capacity building efforts include participatory capacity assessments and workshops, ensuring robust & sustainable knowledge transfer, coordinating with relevant VA service providers, and institutionalizing capacity building for the future.
Ministry of Martyrs and Disabled Affairs: Currently, MMD is the focal ministry within GoIRA that coordinates, manages, and delivers VA services for people with disabilities (PwDs) and Heirs of Martyrs (HoMs). It is also the lead policy making and regulatory authority for issues related to martyrs and disabled in Afghanistan.
In this role, the MMD is required to effectively coordinate and collaborate with a wide range of relevant stakeholders. To support this strategic coordination, MMD is focused on strengthening its outreach and media relations through the office of the spokesperson, to raise awareness about MMD and it role and services among all stakeholders – including the Afghan people including the beneficiaries, government and non-government agencies, and national and international organizations.
MMD requires short-term technical assistance to pursue its strategic communications goals and objectives, by improving the functionality and responsiveness of its communications and outreach unit. This will include strengthening: a) the technical capacity of its communication staff; b) strategic content development and communications products; and c) supporting the Office of the MMD Spokesperson forge positive relations and connections with other ministries, civil society organizations, donors, and media networks.
Blumont is seeking candidates for the position of STTA Communication Consultant who will be work in close collaboration with the COMAC to strengthen the capacity of MMD’s Communication and Outreach Unit and carry out the following tasks. Primarily, the Consultant will be responsible for the following key tasks, however, s/he may be assigned any other task closely related to capacity development of MMD communications staff if agreed upon by MMD, COMAC and the Consultant. The Consultant is expected to use both structured trainings, learning by doing and other pedagogical approaches to build capacity of MMD staff as s/he completes the tasks and deliverables.
- Assist MMD’s Communications team in improving (as needed) and implementing the Ministry’s existing Communications Strategy and Outreach Plan.
- Lead the development of a Crisis Communications Plan with support from MMD staff and conduct trainings for MMD staff on operationalizing the approved Plan.
- Supporting MMD communications unit to develop and implement publication and outreach SOPs and review key concept notes and proposals for attracting budget from GIRoA entities and donors for its communications and outreach activities.
- Assisting and advising MMD to build professional and positive working relationship with media groups to improve both volume and quality of media coverage of MMD services.
- Building capacity of MMD to improve their outreach with both governmental and non-governmental agencies to raise and amplify awareness about MMD’s role and improve coordination to better leverage available resources for VA.
- Training MMD’s Communications and Media Office to develop and implement their own high impact outreach plans; and key and useful messages for different audiences using different platforms (mass media, print materials, billboards, posters, brochures, magazines.
- Training relevant staff from the Communications and Outreach Unit to draft and edit short written materials: internal communications, briefings, press releases, website articles, country news updates, newsletters, FAQs, etc.
- Any other task agreed upon in consultation with MMD and COMAC.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- At least Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, Mass Media and Journalism, Public Relations, English, or any other relevant field is required. Master's degree will be preferred.
- A minimum of five years’ experience working in the field of communications (or related field such as public relations or marketing) in a senior, technical position. Experience supporting communications in the government sector is a plus.
- At least four years’ experience managing a team of communications or marketing staff.
- Demonstrated success increasing awareness about a product and/or issue through multiple communications, and outreach platforms. Experience in developing content specifically for websites and social media required.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Skills in photojournalism a plus.
- Good understanding of the GoIRA, media, and relationship between GoIRA and media.
Through the Communications STTA, MMD is expecting to:
- Development of publication and outreach SOPs and/or SOPs to operationalize the existing Communications Strategy and Plan.
- Trainings to MMD staff on implementation of SOPs and the existing Communications Strategy and Plan.
- Crisis Communications Plan (draft and final incorporating MMD inputs) for submission to the MMD.
- Develop up to 2 proposals or concept notes for MMD to seek funding. They will be developed with support from MMD staff and COMAC’s Communications Team.
- Advice and guide MMD staff in hosting at least 3 events to foster collaboration and coordination with relevant government agencies, national and international stakeholders and service providers, civil society organizations. The support will include on-the-job trainings to design, plan and execute such events.
This will be a Kabul based position with expected travel to provinces for up to 20% of the time.
Interested applicant are highly encouraged to apply for this position by filling the online application form and upload their cover letters and CVs through the following link:
Please note that applications received after the closing date will not be given consideration. Only short-listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted for interview.
Note: Female candidates and People with Disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply