Position Title: Safeguarding Officer
Activation Date: 15 September, 2021 Announced Date: 15 September, 2021 Expire Date: 27 September, 2021
About Save the Children:
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
SCI - Afghanistan
Save the Children has been working in Afghanistan since 1976. Our way of working close to people and on their own terms has enabled us to deliver lasting change to tens of thousands of children in the country. The UN Convention of the Rights of the Child is the basis of our work.
We are helping children get a better education, we make it possible for more boys and girls to attend school, we help children protect themselves and influence their own conditions. We work with families, communities and health workers in homes, clinics and hospitals to promote basic health in order to save lives of children and mothers
The Safeguarding (SG) Officer will support Faryab province in conducing capacity building trainings on safeguarding topics (Child Safeguarding/CSG, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse/PSEA, Code of Conduct, Bullying, Harassment in workplace), will conduct regular monitoring from all projects and programs that SCI implements in Faryab province for active SG case finding and to ensure that SCI and partners’ programs/projects are safe for beneficiaries.
Lead investigations of safeguarding cases in the province, and provide regular update to Sr. Provincial Manager and Sr. Safeguarding Manager.
The role holder will work under the direct guidance of Sr. Provincial manager and will closely coordinate with Sr. Safeguarding Manager.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
- Identify potential risks to children and adult in all the project activities and report them to Sr. Provincial Manager and Sr.CSG manager.
- Closely coordinate with provincial CSG focal point, to improve CSG practices.
- Support Sr.CSG manager in delivering mandatory and refresher training on CSG, anti-harassment, Bullying, code of conduct and PSEA.
- Conduct regular visits to project sites of SCI and partners, to ensure that SG reporting system is working and beneficiaries know how to report SG cases.
- Update local SG reporting tracker regularly.
- During field visits ensure that all child and adult safeguarding concerns are reported effectively in line with the policy.
- High levels of professional safeguarding behaviour and maintain the standards required by the Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with colleagues and other Safeguarding officers, Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Bachelor’s degree in Social science or any other related field.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Two years of experience in the area of Child protection and familiar with Safeguarding.
- Experience doing project monitoring and investigation.
- Multi-disciplinary experience of working successfully with senior managers to deliver major operational change with a track record of delivering results to high standards.
- Experience of building personal network with SG focal points of SCI and partners.
- Experience of planning and undertaking training programmes/workshops in safeguarding at a range of levels (e.g. field workers, community based staff, project staff).
- Good verbal communication and report writing skills in English and Dari/Pashto languages.
- Good presentation skills.
- Demonstrable commitment to Children’s Rights.
- Ability to deliver results against demanding timetables and in the face of competing demands.
- Ability to travel and work within challenging environments.
- Awareness of own strengths and weaknesses and evidence of commitment to self-managed personal development.
- Evidence of experience, personal development and learning in the field of child care
- Experience of working within challenging environments.
- Experience of work related travel in challenging environments.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Qualified applicants are highly encouraged to apply for the position by filling in the online application form. In addition to the online application form, they can also attach their CV and cover letter in the online system. Please note that only the applications received through the online portal will be considered for this position.
Applicants can login to the online application system by copying and pasting the following link intro their web browser. Returning users will need to enter their username and password, first time users will need to create a user account.
It is recommended that you save your username and password for future job applications through the online system.