Position Title: Field Engineer
Activation Date: 12 May, 2022 Announced Date: 12 May, 2022 Expire Date: 22 May, 2022
About CARE AFGHANISTAN:
CARE is a non-governmental, non-political, non-profit, non-partisan and non-sectarian humanitarian organization, extending its relief and development assistance to those in need. CARE, as an International Confederation of 13 member organizations is one of the world's largest private humanitarian organizations working in more than 90 plus, countries committed to helping communities in the developing world achieve lasting victories over poverty.
- Summary of Key Functions
Field Engineer is responsible to participate and assist the field supervisor in implementation of community infrastructure projects, S/he is responsible to implement Cash for Work activities and provide technical support to ABADEI project in the different stages (technical survey, design, estimation, Bill of Quantities, technical proposals preparation, project implementation, supervision, projects status report preparation, project completion report.. etc.). S/he in close coordination with community mobilizer and field supervisor will try to identify and select the appropriate cash for work projects, project target groups and ensures that project is implementing in accordance to technical specification and standard norms.
- Key relations Reports to:
Project field supervisor, community Mobilizers, Deputy project manager, Provincial Manager, project beneficiaries, CARE internal departments
Kapisa, Paktia, Khost and Ghazni Sub Offices
Key Results Expected:
The Field Engineer in coordination with community mobilizers and field supervisor is responsible to select appropriate Cash for Work project for communities and survey, design, implement and monitor the project onsite. H/she also might be requested to support project in terms of all engineering issues related to ABADEI project. H/she is expected to achieve the following results:
- Explain program objectives to the communities and ensure project ownership by the participating communities by convincing them about the goals and objectives of the projects.
- Participate in participatory needs assessment in general community meeting.
- Prepare community wide work calendar and specify resources required to undertake the plan.
- Ensure that the plan is shared with the communities and therefore is attainable and have the endorsement of the community.
- Select jointly with community development councils (CDCs) CFW projects based on community needs and priorities.
- Conduct technical feasibility study of the proposed projects, technical survey, design, cost estimation including BoQ and prepare project proposals with consideration of defined norms and technical quality.
- Ensure that the cost estimation is realistic and within the boundary of less than 10 % variation
- Keep control of budgets in community to avoid any over expenditures.
- Participate in the selection of skilled workers. Ensure that highly skilled workers are hired.
- Regularly monitor/oversee the project implementation and provide technical guidance and recommendation to the foreman and labors
- Conduct work safety training to CFW labors and consider and monitor safety of work for project implementation.
- Participate in the process of setting baselines and conduct baseline surveys.
- Ensure of communities’ empowerment through projects implementation process.
- Demonstrate a good team work. Involve other team members in decision making and keep your supervisor and other team members informed of affairs.
- Arrange payment of wage of labor on time and in a professional manner.
- Maintain work norms and standards. Make sure that the workers are performing as per labor norms applied by donor and CARE.
- Ensure of women needs assessment conducting with the majority women.
- Facilitate the community members to prioritize the high impact low cost projects of each sector.
- Manage the project plan properly in order to get more effectiveness and efficiency.
- Computerized cost estimation in accordance to Data Keeping system of the project.
- Submit community progress report to field supervisor on time and as per standard.
- Use standard and official monitoring forms during project visits.
- Ensure that the community is undertaking the work and are involved in monitoring.
- Ensure that the vulnerable sector of community is considered for employment, especially those who can’t be benefited from the outcome of the projects.
- Assist Field Supervisor in preparing the projects’ procurement plan.
- Make sure that the projects are being implemented according to their design and estimation.
- Collect case stories in community that reflect the benefit of project intervention in the community.
- consideration of efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of community micro-projects and economical consideration during conducting of feasibility study and technical survey.
- Working and liaising with targeted communities to ensure effective mainstreaming of environmental/social safeguard issues
- Support communities and procurement team that how to procure and purchase required construction material with quality and according to proposal’ technical specifications and also with cheapest cost.
- Ensure the quality of construction materials before using it on the site and control quality of construction activities during supervision.
- Conduct project management training to the target beneficiaries for quality control on time project implementation transparency and accountability.
- Have primary knowledge of designing livelihood- agriculture or livestock properties/ structures like greenhouse, poultry backyard and etc.
- Prepare inputs from all engineering activities to M&R Officer, Field supervisor, Deputy project manager at any time required.
- Conduct project maintenance training to the CDCs and to the maintenance committee.
Perform of any other tasks as assigned.
Build personal and inter project relationship, analyse issues, cultural sensitivity, Gender sensitivity, team work, establish a conductive working environment and persuade others, mobilize communities and implement the projects and civil engineering and community development field. Promote women role in CFW projects. Avoid, transform and solve problems/conflicts in the working area. Encourage the community for projects’ post-completion maintenance. Effective technical and social mobilization skills, Analytical Thinking. innovative thinking. Computer skills (AutoCAD, Engineering software, Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel), excellent supervision and coordination skills.
Skills and Experience:
Education: University degree in Civil Engineering, Master degree is preferred.
Work Experience: Minimum three years’ work experience in civil Engineering, community development field and CFW projects with NGOs or local government.
Languages Skills Fluency in spoken and written Dari, Pashtu and English is Highly Desirable.
Please submit your completed CARE Standard Job application form (http://www.acbar.org/applicationform) to Afg.Vacancies@care.org before the closing date, applications without Care Standard Job application form will be considered for shortlisting.
Applications after closing date will not be accepted.
Please Indicate the position title, Vacancy Number and Location in the Subject Line (Field Engineer GHZ-05-2022) otherwise your application will not be considered.
Please note that there is no telephonic inquiry and only shortlisted applicants will be contacted with and call for Interview.
The successful applicant will be expected to undergo a Security check, Bridger check & Reference check and be compliant and sign up to Care Afghanistan’s Code of Conduct, PSHA (Prevention from Sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse) and other Care Afghanistan policies prior to a final offer being made.
Qualified People with Physical Disabilities and Female candidate are highly encourage to apply.
CARE IS COMMITTED TO CHILD PROTECTION POLICY (Available at: http://bit.ly/CAREAFG_Child_Protection_Policy)