Position Title: Finance Officer
Activation Date: 22 September, 2022 Announced Date: 22 September, 2022 Expire Date: 09 October, 2022
About Afghanistan International NGO Safety ORG:
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international charity that supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in complex contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time information, reporting, safety related information and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations, and training.
INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
The Organization has grown from innovative start-up to become a globally recognized charity and a valuable component of the humanitarian safety coordination system.
Today the Organization provides daily support to more than 1,000 beneficiary organizations (NGO) in some of the world’s most insecure environments and has earned a strong reputation for performance, principles & professionalism.
INSO has been registered as a charity in the Netherlands since April 2019 and its global headquarters is now based in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
INSO has more than 1,000 employees globally and is active in 14 countries across the Middle East, Africa, and Central Asia, with further programmes planned in four additional countries this year.
INSO Afghanistan Country Office:
INSO (formerly ANSO – Afghanistan NGO Safety Organisation) began in Afghanistan in 2002 as a joint platform before becoming fully independent in 2009, and subsequently an international NGO in 2011. INSO Afghanistan provides services to enhance the delivery of aid and preserve the safety of staff employed by over 280 Afghan and International NGOs that provide humanitarian and emergency assistance to people living in the country.
INSO Central region is currently looking for experienced individual to join our team in Afghanistan as Deputy Finance Manager in Kabul Province. The candidates are required to be resident in the province and possess an understanding of the current situation relevant to NGO and humanitarian safety.
Overall Purpose of Role:
The key responsibilities of this position will be to support the Finance Manager in carrying out and overseeing the general accounting and treasury of the project. Including bank / cash transactions, payment expenses, cash book tracking, processing tax and payroll, reporting to authorities, as well as providing support to him/her in decision-making.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monthly receive the accounting journals from offices in regions. Confirm their correctness by reconciling all entries with the supporting documentation. Ensure entries have been properly coded and allocated to enable direct import to SUNSYSTEM. Prepare the journal entries to offset prepayment, intercompany and payroll accounts. Collect the information and documentation from the operations to update the accounting journals of accrued expenses (staff leave, severance pay, outstanding bills…).
- Daily oversee bank and cash transactions. Ensure suppliers are paid in accordance with a valid contract or a purchase order. Ensure payments of local taxes and payroll are reconciled monthly. Collect cash needs of field offices and prepare bank transfers. Ensure that adequate controls on cash management are in place in all sites. Follow-up and update bank signatures. Confirm all cash counts and bank reconciliation are routinely performed and witnessed.
- Monitors open advances and deposits in the balance sheet and recoup aging amounts.
- Maintain a secure filing system of the original accounting documentation. Oversee the repatriation of original documents from field offices. Confirm completeness of the supporting documentation in all respect, organize and archive them in an accessible manner. Support the Finance Manager in the provision of the documentation during financial audits.
- Act as a point of contact of field/country administrators for finance queries and provide financial support to team members.
- Undertake specific tasks on internal controls, budget planning, proposals, and financial reporting as they have been assigned by the Finance Manager.
- Partake training of staff with financial functions. Time to time travel to field offices to deliver orientation to field office administrators newly recruited.
- Support the Finance Manager with financial statutory reporting to local authorities and audits.
- Substitute the Finance Manager functions in case of absence or vacancy.
- Minimum 4-5 years of relevant work experience, preferably in similar roles with NGOs
- A Degree in finance, account, or relevant field
- Experience in financial software systems (preferably SUNSYSTEM), and proficiency in Microsoft Office,
- High attention to detail
- Ability to process large amounts of data
- In depth knowledge of financial regulations and account processes.
- Ability to handle budget
- Donor/contract management experience and donor policy knowledge (preferably ECHO, FCDO,,SIDA, NMFA or SDC)
- Fluent in Dari and Pashto, both written and verbal.
- Very good English language skills, both written and verbal.
- Time management skills
- Ability to supervise and direct
Interested applicants are requested to send the following to email@example.com and reference “DEPUTY FINANCE MANAGER” in the subject line of the email.
The application must include:
* Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, any preferred characteristics, your motivation for applying, and what you hope to bring to INSO (2 pages maximum).
* Updated CV (5 pages maximum).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applicants are screened on a rolling basis, so if you are interested, please apply early as the position may close before the stated closing date (06 October 2022).
Please do not send any additional information (such as copies of certificates, copies of diplomas, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.