Position Title: ICLA Technical Assistant (Afghan Nationals Only)
Activation Date: 01 June, 2021 Announced Date: 01 June, 2021 Expire Date: 14 June, 2021
About Norwegian Refugee Council:
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organization helping people forced to flee.
We protect displaced people and support them as they build a new future. We started our relief efforts after World War Two. Today, we work in both new and protracted crises across 31 countries. We specialize in six areas: food security, education, shelter, legal assistance, camp management, and water, sanitation and hygiene.
We stand up for people forced to flee. NRC is a determined advocate for displaced people. We promote and defend displaced people's rights and dignity in local communities, with national governments and in the international arena. NRC’s Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva is a global leader in monitoring, reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
We respond quickly to emergencies. Our expert deployment capacity, NORCAP, boasts around 1,000 experts from all over the world who can be deployed within 72 hours. Our experts help improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises.
Around 6,000 men and women work for the Norwegian Refugee Council. Most of us are hired locally to work in the field, and a small number are based at our head office in Oslo. Many of our colleagues were once themselves fleeing their homes.
NRC Afghanistan established operations in 2003, and currently maintains five area offices in Balkh, Hirat, Kabul, Kandahar, and Nangarhar, as well as field offices in hard-to-reach, displacement-affected provinces: Badghis, Faryab, Khost, Kunar, Kunduz, Nimroz, Sar-e Pul, and Uruzgan. NRC employs over 1,400 staff in Afghanistan, and works through direct implementation of programmes, to provide both emergency response and durable solutions for internally displaced Afghans, as well as returning Afghan refugees, and Waziristan refugees in southeastern Afghanistan.
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures.
- Ensure that ICLA projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection and contribute to new approaches for assisting target populations.
- Responsible for organizing and delivery of tasks in line with priorities and standards.
- Knowledge of cash-based interventions and market based programmes.
- Any other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
- Provide legal information, counseling and assistance to displaced affected people in accordance with the ICLA strategy, project documents, and applicable laws and procedures.
- Identify and select beneficiaries, collecting relevant documents (copies of claim files, customary or title deeds, client request from NRC, NRC contract with client, VRF or village leader certification or any other relevant documents).
- Enter all activity information into the ICLA electronic database and maintain hard copies of all means of verification documents.
- Conduct legal awareness sessions for beneficiaries in communities, in hard-to-reach areas and/or at border areas.
- Legal assistance: Assist officers in legal cases including in the preparation of petitions and lawsuits, defense letters or any other legal letter if requested by clients in accordance with laws. Where appropriate, and under the supervision of the Officer and Coordinator, represent clients in their legal case.
- Assist officers in the preparation and execution of capacity building trainings per project documents.
- Provide individual counselling services to beneficiaries per ICLA standards and report outcomes, challenges, and progress to the supervising officer.
- Collaborating with ICLA Officer in uploading the Methods of Verifications to the M&E tracker on a regular basis.
- Preparing and presenting the weekly and monthly progress report to the ICLA Officer on a timely manner.
- Conduct legal research and analysis as assigned by the Officer, Coordinator or Project Manager.
Qualification and Education:
- Minimum 1-2 year of relevant experience within field of expertise
- Holding a Legal Defense License from Afghanistan Independent Bar Association is an asset
- Technical specific knowledge from the humanitarian sector and work experience with refugees
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented technical competences related to the position’s responsibilities
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Familiarity with NRC work in the region
- Knowledge of English and computer literate (MS Office)
- University degree from faculty of law or Sharia, or a related field and a thorough knowledge of Afghan law. Holding Legal Defense License from Afghanistan Independent Bar Association is an asset
- Prior experience of representing an I/NGO, and advocating on behalf of beneficiaries, in public forums (e.g. Protection Sector)
- Willing to travel to the “hard to reach areas” covered under ICLA projects in Badghis Province.
- Working knowledge of context-relevant languages
- Advanced computer skills, especially in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Planning and delivering results
- Problem solving and solution oriented.
- Team player & working with people
- Flexible and creative
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environmen
We can offer:
- Monthly Salary based on NRC Afghanistan Salary Scale
- Top up Credit card on monthly basis
- Leave and Holidays accordingly Afghanistan Labor law
How to Apply:
For applying and more information, please copy below link and paste in the web address.
Note: All applicants are supposed to create and properly fill online CV profile in the NRC people site, example (personal, education, experience background etc..) and only attaching CV won’t be enough
Interested qualified candidates are encouraged to send their CVs along with a cover letter to below mentioned e-mail. Please make sure to clearly state the (VA-2021-094) in the subject line of your email.
Submission email: Mohammadsamim.firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested qualified candidates can also submit their hard copy CVs with a Cover Letter stating the position title (VA-2021-094) number; to below addresses:
NRC Badghis Office Address: Dist. #2, Dahan Baqak, in front of Sarai-e-Soheil.