Position Title: Nutrition counselor
Activation Date: 23 June, 2022 Announced Date: 23 June, 2022 Expire Date: 29 June, 2022
About IRC (International Rescue Committee):
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world's worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity, and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC opened the country program in Afghanistan in 1988. Our programs span the range from humanitarian relief to early recovery and development activities, focusing on child protection, education, economic wellbeing, health, and power. The IRC works in 10 provinces throughout Afghanistan, among which some of the most security volatile, and employs over 1000 staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and provide guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Provide nutrition support and mentorship to other mobile clinic staff, providing on-the-job training where needed.
- Ensure non-disclosure of any information whatsoever about practices and IRC activities to any other person or organization without permission, except in the normal performance of the service.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs.
- Screen all children and pregnant and lactating women for acute malnutrition using MUAC and refer those who meet the referral criteria for health care services
- Take height and weight measurements
- Lead individual and group nutrition counseling sessions tailored to the needs of clients and caregivers
- Ensure adherence to infection prevention and control measures.
- Ensure accurate recording of nutrition information in the clinic registers, and timely completion of summary reports.
- Identify mothers to become peer educators in their villages, and to support them to undertake sensitization and work closely with CHWs
- Train and work with CHWs to ensure consistent messaging regarding best practices for IYCF and CMAM
Work with CHWs to Providing ongoing follow-up, basic motivational interviewing, and goal setting with patients/families
- Education: Secondary school Diploma or equivalent
- Nursing Diploma or qualification an advantage but not required
- Years of Experience: 2+ years of relevant work experience
- Skills: Skills to provide sensitive and appropriate counselling, strong communication skills.
- Must be a team player with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure in a stressful environment, displaying patience, compassion, and diplomacy.
- Ability to be innovative, flexible, adaptive, and willingness to work out of hours, sometimes throughout the night.
- Ability to live in challenging conditions and ability to work under difficult, high-pressure situations.
- Ability to lead, train, supervise and facilitate other nursing staff and community health workers in their respective tasks.
- Ability and flexibility to understand the cultural and political environment and to work well with the local health representatives.
- Technical Competency:
- Communication and reporting skills
- Fluency in Pashto, Dari and English
- Computer skills (including MS Word, Excel, Access, and internet) an advantage
- Ability to work closely, professionally, and constructively with all others regardless of nationality, ethnicity, gender, religion, race, tribe, or cultural background
For IRC- Afghanistan Internal Candidates:
(“ The IRC encourages employees to remain in a position for at least one year and be in good standing before applying for another position within the organization. if an employee is interested in a vacant position within the organization, he/she must inform his/her supervisor in advance before applying for a new position”)
(However, 1 year is a must to complete but to encourage IRCA employees somehow we are flexible who work in the current IRC position for at least 6 months or above and are given chance to compete for an opportunity in the organization)
interested candidates are requested to send their applications along with copies of their CVs (NOT Educational and Work Certificates), to the attention of the Human Resources Department at the following address or email us at (AF-Recruitment@rescue.org)
Shortlisted candidates will be directly contacted for a written test and after that for an interview. If you are not contacted TWO or FOUR WEEKS after the closing date .please know that your application has not been successful for the post.
IRC Afghanistan Country Office – Kabul
Qala-e-Fathullah, Street 3, close to Takyakhana-e-Fatimia, District 10